Monday, June 11, 2012

Renewal and 5 months!

June 11th already! How did that happen? 

Well, as I sit here between laundry loads on this dreary Monday morning, I thought I would share something that I'm learning. This weekend Forest and I discussed knowing and applying the Bible. If I DO happen to memorize a verse I am happy to check it off my list and go about my day. Check, check, duty done...now there are dishes to wash and beds to make. I don't think the memorization of God's Word necessarily leads to application for me. 


Or I find myself chanting Scripture over and over again in a moment of fear or struggle. Not that there is anything wrong with proclaiming truth (it's actually a great thing), but again I don't think any real application or TRANSFORMATION occurs. 

One thing Forest said really struck me. It was one of those heart-piercing, stop in your tracks moments. He said, "I don't want to hold out God's Word like a garlic clove, hoping to fend off evil around me." 

WOW! That is not how I want to approach the Lord or His Word.

"But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit." 
Titus 3:4-5

Praying today for true renewal and transformation by God's Word! 

Also, my baby is 5 months old!