Thursday, June 21, 2012

hole in my life

Good Thursday to you! Does anyone else think that summer is a great time for reading? Maybe I still feel like I need to check off my accelerated reader list before school begins. It's probably that I want to go to the beach, sit in a chair, and read books all day (under the umbrella with SPF 100 of course). Anyways, I'm always on the look out for good book suggestions. Right now I'm making my way through NPR's summer reading list. And I must say, both of the books I've read so far have exceeded my expectations.


The first:


image source

Macmillan summarizes, "In the summer of 1971, Jack Gantos was an aspiring writer looking for adventure, cash for college tuition, and a way out of a dead-end job. For ten thousand dollars, he recklessly agreed to help sail a sixty-foot yacht loaded with a ton of hashish from the Virgin Islands to New York City, where he and his partners sold the drug until federal agents caught up with them. For his part in the conspiracy, Gantos was sentenced to serve up to six years in prison."

The second:
image source
"A debut novel about a young Muslim war orphan whose family is killed in a military operation gone wrong, and the American soldier to whom his fate, and survival, is bound (goodreads.com)."


Any suggestions?